Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Rose By Any Other.....Age?


This time, its not my fault. Lots of things are my fault. There are many things that I know I'm to blame for. I have my faults, my mistakes, I'm human. But, there is one thing that is not my fault. That is my age. I won't say sorry for it, won't feel bad about it. Sometimes I rub it in with people I know who can take it, especially if they're much older than I.
But, I am 26, the father of two, married for eight years, a child of God, and a Salvation Army Officer, an ordained minister. Sorry if you don't like it, but God called when He called me, and when He called, I answered.

I've been a pastor for two years, and yesterday I had a conversation that was not one I thoroughly enjoyed, because it involved my age (which apparently means I'm inexperienced and ill-equipped). I don't get upset about it, in fact I think it ended kind of funny. One of the duties I have as the corps officer here is to run the thrift store, and by run I mean cashier, sorter, janitor, stocker, floor manager, everything, its all me. And yesterday a man came into the thrift store with a donation (a T.V. in two pieces).


"I've got a donation for you. Here you go."
"Oh okay. Does this T.V. work?"
"No, how could it, its in two pieces."
"Alright. Well I appreciate the donation and you bringing it down here to me, but its the thrift store's policy not to accept electronics that don't work."
"Why not"
"Well, because no one would buy it and I'd end up throwing it away, which would cost the store $25. That's a lot to pay to throw away one item when you consider how much money this store makes."
"How do you know someone won't buy it?"
"Experience"
"Ha!"
"In all my time working in thrift stores, not one person has ever purchased an a broken appliance. Would you buy it?"
"No, that's why I'm giving it away. What do you mean all your time. How long could that be?"
"Ten years"
"Okay, well I don't agree with that policy, can I talk to the manager."
"That's me. I set the policy."
"Did you okay this policy with the Salvation Army leader before you made it? Does he agree with it?"
"That's me too."
"YOU'RE THE SALVATION ARMY LEADER!"
"Yes, my name is Mark, Lt. Mark actually, I'm the pastor here at Salvation Army."
"You're not old enough to be a pastor."
"I've been ordained for a little while now, if it had been a problem I'm sure they wouldn't have ordained me after I finished school."
"High School."
"No, Salvation Army seminary school."
"How old are you, or are you afraid to tell me."
"I'm not afraid of anything, I've got nothing to hide. I'm 26."
"Can't be, you look like you're 18."
"Yeah I know, that's why I grew a beard, I used to look like I'm 12."
"26! That's really young to be a pastor."
"That's nothing, you should have seen how old the guy who moved here two years ago was."
"How old was he."
"24"
"What? Who was it?"
"Me."
"You going to take the T.V.?"
"No thank you, the store's policy is not to accept broken appliances. But thank you for your willingness to contribute."
"Is that the manager, the worker or the pastor talking."
"All 3."
"Well I guess I'll go take it to the dump young-in and pay for it myself."
"I appreciate that. Have a good day and God Bless!"


God called, I answered. I may be too young for some people, but I'm here. I was trained just like everybody else who has been ordained in the Salvation Army and I daily equipt myself with the armor of God so I can do His work, face the world, and stand firm. I'm not ashamed and I won't apologize for being 26. In fact, I've got a whole lifetime ahead of me to live as God's servant. I can't wait to see where He calls me to, what He calls me to do, even if I'm only 26.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." This used to be my life verse, 1 Timothy 4:12. I have since moved on to other verses, but this one helped me yesterday. Let's not be so concerned with ages, but with being living examples and servants for the Lord.


BLT says.........don't worry about your age, just serve God.

No comments:

Post a Comment