Monday, July 26, 2010

A Grand Idea..........


We make them for athletes, race car and motorcycle drivers, test dummies, why don't we make them for little kids? After over a year and a half parenting with an extra clumsy little boy (which counts for like two years already in my book I think), it has become apparent to me that we need to make helmets for little kids, and not just for biking (because we already do) but for everyday use.

We worry about the educational system in this country not being as good as it can be, yet that seems silly when you think of little kids losing the information they learned with each knock on the noggin. Maybe its not the education system's fault but our own for not protecting our children from themselves. A brain is a precious commodity, it should be protected. Here are reasons why I believe we should make everyday helmets for little kids.

1. Last October my son fell and hit his head, cutting his head above his eyebrow so bad it needed stitches to close it.

2. My son hits his head in the bathtub almost daily when playing and splashing around.

3. My son attempts to pull my daughter off the furniture to cuddle with her. While this is cute, he can't hold her by himself and will drop her. One of these days, I'm sure he'll succeed.

4. My son and I like to play with his ball. We play a game called bowling for baby, where I toss the ball at him and he dodges away. Sometimes I miss and he forgets to dodge (don't judge me the ball is super light and oddly enough he finds it funny getting hit in the noggin. I bet he'll love the movie Dodge ball).

5. Our son is very good at walking down the stairs, but we all make mistakes. About four days ago he missed the last step and while I scrambled to catch him, he fell and hit his head on the concrete with extremely thin carpet cover. Ouch!

6. Four days ago my son fell off the bed in his sleep, apparently going head over heels.

7. 3 days ago my son fell outside while we were playing in the grass (also a reason for kid parachutes for everyday use, if the grass was a cliff, I shudder to think ;) ).
8. 2 days ago my son fell off the bed in his sleep, apparently going head over heels.

9. Yesterday my son woke me up dancing and jumping on my bed to his music (I forgot to turn off the IPod before I fell asleep. Before I realized what he was doing, he got a bit too excited and bounced himself off the bed and onto his mommy's cuddle pillow (what if it hadn't been there?).

10. My son has this crazy thing with spinning and spinning until it makes me queasy just watching him. When he gets done, he falls several times and has hit the coffee table more than five times.

11. While having a father son day at the park, he decided he was done with the swing and just scooted off less than a second before I could grab him, and, timber he went.

12. He falls off the piano bench at the church a lot.

All these things happened while he's supervised, he's just really clumsy. If these aren't enough reasons to manufacture everyday wear helmets for little kids, I don't know what else could be. Well, except for bungee jumping.

The older he gets, the clumsier he gets. You never know, pretty soon he might be walking around with a bike helmet (with Pixar's Cars on it of course) all the time, or he might have a pillow tied to his head, or a nice bubble wrap hat (which would both protect and make cool noises.I'd rather have a helmet for Mr. Clumsy than for a test dummy, wouldn't you in all reality? Time to be fair, helmets for all, from dummy to baby.

BLT says............time for a change, let's make helmets and everyday fashion item.

No comments:

Post a Comment