Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Past In The Present


My kid is scary. He's scary for many reasons. Like Hannibal Lecter, he rarely blinks. He's happy early in the morning (frightening). He likes when he gets woken up from naps early. If he doesn't get his way his emits a high pitched siren scream which makes my ear drums explode and I'm pretty sure has a reaction similar to that of a person saying "I don't believe in fairies." That being whenever its said a fairy dies, and whenever he screams, I believe a dog somewhere falls down dead from inner ear trauma. Good thing we don't have a dog isn't it?

The list probably goes on, but I can't remember it all, the result of a long day. But I do believe the biggest reason why my son scares me is because is so many ways he's just like me. After seeing a picture of myself at six months and then looking at him at six months of age, I started calling him Mini-Me. And as time has wore on, he's lived up to the title. There are so many things he does that make him my Mini-Me.He likes to get up early (which was me until I became a daddy).
He loves being read to.
He likes movies.
He watches Star Wars.
He loves the water.
He loves cheese.
His hair grows pretty crazy.
He loves to bounce on the bed.
He likes to sing.
He CANNOT sit still.
He is mischievous and tricky.
He's pretty quiet unless he's upset and then the whole world hears him.

All these things may be pretty normal for a kid his age, and I haven't thought anything about it, because he has some traits like his mommy as well. His way too ticklish and is cuddly and has a hatred for socks and shoes that I will never understand (if I had my way, I would wear shoes until I get into bed).

But then today, after his nap I realized that all joking aside he really is my Mini-Me. When he woke up from his nap he wanted a snack, which is normal for him. So I looked around the kitchen and found the popcorn his mommy had made last night (by the way the best lesson I had in training school was how to make the best popcorn at home without a microwave). I asked him if he wanted it and he did his happy dance, which sadly is the same as mine. Then when I took the bag to the living room he pointed out to me that he wanted a bowl for his popcorn.

I poured the popcorn in the bowl and set it on the coffee table. He shook his head at me and sat on the couch, staring at me as if using the force to get me to do his will and bidding. When I didn't get the message he patted his legs, which I took to be a universal sign for "Daddy please sit next to me because I love you and have I told you you're awesome and you have great hair?" So, flattered, I sat down next to him with a smile on my face.

That smile quickly vanished as he shook his head at me, grunted like a disappointed King Kong, walked over to the coffee table, grabbed the bowl of awesome corn, carried it to me, asked me to hold it and the proceded to climb back into the couch and sit next to me. He smiled, leaned in and said please, and patted his legs again. That time, I got the message and put the popcorn bowl in his lap, which he ate and ate from watching Cars.

As I watched him happily devouring his popcorn, I had a flashback to my early teen years, spending my evening eating popcorn and watching movies. He looked just like me. He even ignored his mommy while he ate, just like me.

My son really is my Mini-Me, and that is cute, really sweet, and also terrifying. Wonder what else I passed onto him. What a cool experience, to see one of the ways in which my son is just like his daddy.BLT says.......be on the look out for our Mini-Me's. They're out there and may be even closer than you'd think.

No comments:

Post a Comment